Unit Dose Betadine® - Povidone Iodine Solution
Edge Pharma offers preservative-free Povidone Iodine (Betadine®) packaged in a 0.5 mL syringe.
Povidone Iodine in Unit-Dose Syringe
BUD - 30 days. Room temperature storage.
Concentration = 5%
Volume = 0.5 mL Syringe
“Povidone-Iodine (PI, Betadine ®) is routinely used as a preoperative topical anesthetic in cataract surgery as it has been shown to reduce the incidence of postoperative endophthalmitis.”(1) Endophthalmitis is an uncommon complication of cataract surgery, reported to occur at rates of between 0.03 percent and 0.2 percent of all cataract surgeries.(2)
A study conducted at Leeds Teaching Hospital evaluated the effectiveness of three minutes of 5% povidone-iodine for skin and conjunctival antisepsis prior to cataract surgery. The study included 54 patients. “The eye undergoing surgery was prepared with 5% povidone-iodine for three minutes,” while the other eye served as control. Both eyes were swabbed afterwards. “Use of 5% povidone-iodine for three minutes resulted in a statistically significant reduction in proportion of culture-positive swabs,” the study found. The use of the povidone-iodine achieved a significant reduction in organisms such as CoNS from lid and conjunctival flora.(3)
“The use of the intravitreal route of administration of anti-VEGF agents to treat diabetic macular oedema, exudative age-related macular degeneration, and retinal vasoocclusive disease has proven to be a legitimate medical breakthrough and its use has grown dramatically.”(4)
Povidone-Iodine is routinely used in additional ophthalmic surgeries, “due to its broad spectrum antimicrobial activity, low incidence of microorganism resistance, cost-effectiveness and wide availability.” “As endophthalmitis is hypothesized to occur due to inoculation or ingress of microorganisms into the globe during injection, sterilizing of the ocular surface is of paramount importance and the central evident-based recommendation of any injection protocol. The omission of topical antiseptic is associated with significantly higher rates of endophthalmitis.”(5)
(1) Ferguson, A.W., Scott, J.A., McGavigan, R.A., McClean, J, Schmidt, U, Kekar, R, Dhiliion, B, British Journal of Ophthalmology, online article, Comparison of 5% Povidone-Iodine Solution Against 1% Povidone-Iodine Solution in Preoperative Cataract Surgery Antisepsis; A Prospective Randomized Double Blind Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
(2) George, Nicholas K, and Stewart, Michael W., Ophthalmology and Therapy, online article, The Routine Use of Intracameral Antibiotics to Prevent Endophthalmitis After Cataract Surgery: How Good is the Evidence? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
(3) Carrim, Zia, European Journal of Ophthalmology, online article, The Efficacy of 5% Povidone-Iodine for Three Minutes Prior to Cataract Surgery https://www.researchgate.net/
(4) Lau, E.T., Jenkins, K.S, Layton, CJ. Journal of Ophthalmology, online article, Current Evidence for the Prevention of Endophthalmitis in Anti-VEGF Intravitreal Injections https://www.hindawi.com/
(5) Lau, E.T., Jenkins, K.S, Layton, CJ. Journal of Ophthalmology, online article, Current Evidence for the Prevention of Endophthalmitis in Anti-VEGF Intravitreal Injections https://www.hindawi.com/
"Povidone-iodine (PVI) is a disinfectant and antiseptic agent used for preoperative preparation of the skin and mucous membranes, as well as for the treatment of contaminated wounds. Currently regimens for prophylaxis against postsurgical endophthalmitis are being modified, including a total withdrawal of antibiotics in intravitreal injections. The aim of this study was to evaluate the use of PVI in ophthalmology."
"Despite the introduction of new antiseptics in surgery, PVI is still the preeminent antiseptic measure in ophthalmology. Its use is economically reasonable."
Register To Order Online
We are currently licensed to sell to all US states except Alabama and Virginia. Please fill the Form below to create an account. Medical, DEA, or hospital pharmacy licenses will be required to order povidone iodine solution.
Create an account to orderLog-In if you have an account